Friday, April 18, 2014

#BostonStrong Inspires Fitness Goals

On Tuesday, our nation remembered a city forever altered, a community “Boston Strong.” Last April 15, two explosions tore through the crowded finish line of the 2013 Boston Marathon killing three people and injuring over 260 athletes, spectators and volunteers.

On Tuesday, we remembered the fallen- Martin Richard, 8, of Dorchester, Krystle Campbell, 29, of Arlington, Lingzi Lu, 23, a graduate student at Boston University and MIT campus police officer Sean Collier, 27, of Somerville.

We remembered the injured who slowly healed this past year. Victims now survivors as their broken bones mend, torn muscles strengthen and lost limbs restored by prosthetics.

We remembered the first responders- the medical professionals, the police officers, the fire fighters, the runners and spectators who fought to regain their community amid the terror. People who saved lives. A nation thanks you. I thank you.
Sports Illustrated photographed roughly 3,000 people wearing at the Boston Marathon finish line to mark the one year anniversary of the bombings.
“One year later, we also stand in awe of the men and women who continue to inspire us, learning to stand, walk, dance and run again. With each new step our country is moved by the resilience of a community and a city,” President Obama said in a written statement.

This week, we reflect.

As I reflected over humanity’s worst, I found glimmers of humanity’s best. I found grace, I found inspiration, and I found strength. Everywhere. Yes, horrific acts mar our world, but it is in the aftermath that our spirit prevails. It’s in these moments when we dig deep enough that we discover our character.
Left: Celeste Corcoran, Sydney Corcoran and Boston police officer John Kenneally Right: Heather Abbott
Photos by Robert X. Fogarty (DEAR WORLD)
Take photographer Robert X. Fogarty. In 2009, he began a project, DEAR WORLD, where subjects share a powerful message on their skin. 

Fogarty asked Boston Marathon survivors and responders to return to the finish line to photograph them. He writes to them “What happened that day was terror. Terror happens when love is absent. Boston is a city of love stories now. Thank you for sharing yours here. As you heal, know you inspire the rest of us to be better, still.”


What I learned? Runners refuse to give up. I should know. I used to run my little heart out a minimum of five days out of the week. I stopped because it threatened the wellness of my first pregnancy. Two babies later, and it’s time to regain shards of myself. I cannot imagine a better time to create new fitness goals.

I may not be running marathons yet, but mark my words I will. Babies, jogging stroller and all. In the meantime, I admire the estimated 36, 000 people who will line up at the start of the 2014 Boston Marathon next Monday ready to run. As Vice President Joe Biden said, “We are Boston. We are America. We respond, we endure, we overcome and we own the finish line.”

Join me on my fitness journey as I hit the pavement running toward my own finish line. What are your fitness goals? Or fitness secrets/tips? What inspires you? Share away below.

Happy Running!!

1 comment:

  1. This is an amazing story, I am really inspired. I am not one for running but I greatly admire the courage they have!! Thanks for sharing!!!

    ReplyDelete