Saturday, November 8, 2014

#Gearapalooza2014- An Unfortunate Storm of Events


It happened. Gearapooloza arrived in Miami for the very first time Wednesday evening. The last stop in a 12-city tour across the country “catering to expecting [and new] parents” alike. Color me excited!!
Except I got DENIED at the door. Did I have tickets? Yes, I had two platinum tickets. What?! Before I divulge the details, I’ll give you background on the event itself and the mission behind it.
As the largest social event company in the country, Bump Club and Beyond created Gearapooloza-“the ultimate baby gear and baby registry event” featuring Jamie Grayson (The Baby Guy) to “connect moms and moms-to-be with the best information, experts, products, and most important- with each other.”
In a nutshell, it’s supposedly all things great. I have no doubt it is, that is- if you manage to get through the doors. 
When Gearapalooza put Miami on their 2014 tour roster, I jumped at the opportunity. Tickets sales went LIVE eight weeks prior to the event date for each location. I set a calendar reminder to purchase my tickets as soon as humanly possible.
I LOVE attending family-friendly events. I especially love learning new things within an ever-evolving industry that affects my daily life as well as my boys. I also love discovering new brands and experts. Mingling with parents is an added bonus. A mom can dare to glitz up, bring her family and still find “me” time.
Eh, wrong. Turns out, Gearapalooza is not a 100% family-friendly event.
I failed to read the disclaimer on the site. I also failed to read the e-mail sent out Tuesday that expanded on this disclaimer.
Unfortunately, I brought my 2 year-old with me. The moment I realized he would not be allowed: 5 minutes from the event. Now, I don’t believe I am above the rules; however, I do know that exceptions can graciously be given. I made an honest mistake. Surely, an organization catering to moms would show me mercy?
We parked. I fastened a half-asleep toddler to myself in our baby carrier. My mom held Little Seahorse. On our way to the entrance, we ran into one of my Tutti-Bambini friends (hosts of the event). She greeted us happily without eyeing Liam as a problem. I mentioned my faux-pas, and she directed me to Erin Storm (assistant to Lindsay Pinchuk, founder of Bump Club and Beyond) for a final decision.
Enter, trouble.
We walked up to the entrance to meet Erin. She greeted us courteously, and asked for our names to verify them on the list. Before giving her my name, I opened my big mouth about Monkey Bear’s age. What I didn’t realize then, is that she didn’t perceive his age. Face palm.
Courteous Erin morphed. She denied our entrance without an apology. She claimed the space was too small for my toddler. That’s the genius of babywearing, I only occupy the space where I stand. Didn’t my purchased tickets ensure our spot? He’s also toddler-sized not Godzilla-sized. She then said, that he would be too disruptive. Monkey Bear hadn’t uttered a peep. He was half-asleep.
She offered us a refund without considering other options. What if I wanted my SWAG bags? So I asked for them. At this point, I felt completely dejected and insignificant. I only asked for the bags because one was for a friend in Alaska, who could not attend Gearapoolza.
Erin went off to get the bags seeming bothered. I called my friend, and she voted for a refund. Erin came back with the bags. I apologized, and told her I wanted a refund instead. Then it happened. She rolled her eyes, exasperated and set the bags aside.
As a professional, rolling your eyes and exasperating at customer is never okay. I get that you may be stressed. Perhaps you have too much on your plate, but don’t take it out on a mother castaway from an event she hoped to ENJOY while wearing her child. Just no.
I asked her when the refund would be issued, and Erin looked at me like I sprouted three heads. Who let’s their money float around in credit card limbo? I sure don’t. I asked her again. She detailed all the important things on her schedule before she settled on Friday.
I doubt she put herself in my shoes. I’m not sure if I adequately put myself in hers. I’m not a stranger to the word “no.” Bottom line, I expect civility and tact. Both of which, Erin lacked to demonstrate.
She had no idea how long we drove. It took over an hour and a half to get there. Did I mention traffic and rain? She had no idea I had been horribly sick a few days prior. I could barely keep food down. I ran a fever. I had chills and trembles. Thankfully, I recovered enough to attend. She had no idea how many months I had looked forward to it. I don’t think she stopped to consider what turning around meant for us.
She simply denied us the information, experts, products, but most important- she denied use the SUPPORT from mingling with other moms within our city. All a part of Bump Club and Beyond’s mission. Shame. Maybe next year, they will redeem themselves. I refuse to believe that Bump Club and Beyond as a whole endorses disrespect.
When I told her, I perceived her as rude. She proceeded to give me all her reasons why she was not. Again, no. I don’t need to hear your justifications.
To Erin: Next time, please offer a mother willing to wear her son empathy. Had he been disruptive, I would have discreetly excused myself. The same way I would if it were my 9 month-old. Believe me, babies are disruptive too. Not just toddlers. Have you never heard a baby wail like a banshee?
Know that without empathy, you dismiss a mother’s journey to Gearapoolza’s entrance and cast her aside as insignificant. You don’t know what it took for her to get there. Don’t offer her excuses when she tells you directly and politely that she perceived you as rude. Simply apologize. Tell her it wasn’t your intention. Take a moment, breathe and reassess.
I did.
Oh and Erin, I sincerely hope you know my name. Otherwise, how will you issue my refund? The irony is not lost on me. A refund is in an exception to the rule. Thank you for granting me at least one. A silver lining in a rather unfortunate storm of events.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment