Monday, January 6, 2014

Baby Watch 2014: I Found Doula Love Thanks to Project Motherpath

No two pregnancies are alike; and although I don’t know for certain, I can almost attest the same will ring true for labor and delivery.

For starters, I’m officially on Baby Watch 2014 for baby no. 2. Most thought, I’d deliver early. Not quite. My little Seahorse has plans of his own and thus far it does not include making his debut.

Since I've got some extra time on my hands, I thought I’d share my previous labor and delivery adventure. More importantly, I want to share why I choose to arm myself with a doula for our BIG day. After all, you can never show too much doula LOVE.

Labor & Delivery: Take 1
Labor & Delivery: Take 1 Dec. 2011
Most moms tell you, the pain you’ll experience during childbirth is worth it in the end. It is. I’d go through it again in a heartbeat. Makes sense, since I’m currently on Baby Watch 2014. ;)

But what about the notion that although you go through this indescribable pain, you’ll soon forget it when you lay eyes on your sweet baby? WRONG!!  Absolutely, not true… at least, not for me. I still remember… EVERYTHING!!

Of course, there’s an out from this pain: the epidural. When I was pregnant with Liam, I made two commitments directly related to my birthing experience.
  • I will exclusively breastfeed my baby.
    • Short-term Goal: 6 months
    • Long-term Goal: 1 year +
  • Electing to use the epidural will remain an open choice.
As my blood pressure spiked with each contraction and after I tried to pull out my hair, I choose the epidural. I did not realize the side effects I’d also choose along with my sweet relief. Now, those were scary. Not to mention, the epidural wore off and I felt every single drop of pain.

Let me be clear: my childbirth experience was NOT the BEST, but it also was NOT the WORST. I knew there had to be another way. Equipped with this instinctive feeling, I set out to discover a whole new world of childbirth for my little Seahorse. A world filled with the possibility of birth plans, doulas, midwives, home births and more.

Labor & Delivery: Take 2
Many Thanks to my Mom for helping me during my epidural side effects.
Remember those scary side effects I mentioned earlier? Here’s what happened: for two weeks, I had fevers, chills and cold sweats followed by uncontrollable shaking that mimicked Parkinson’s.

The shakes were the worst. Those shakes meant I couldn't hold my little Monkey Bear. I felt helpless. Medications weren't an option because I committed to breastfeeding, so I endured the side effects until my body regulated itself again.

I’m not sure what I would have done if not for my mother who took one week off work to help me acclimate myself with my newborn at home. When I found out I was pregnant again, I knew I wanted a different experience. Naturally, I made new commitments.
  • I will exclusively breastfeed my baby.
    • Goal: 1 year +
  • I will have a birth plan (a document that outlines what you want or don’t want for your birth).
  • I will have a doula.
  • I will have a natural childbirth. No medications of any kind.
What is a doula?
A doula’s purpose is to help the mother-to-be experience a safe, memorable and empowering childbirth. For many centuries, women have been serving each other during the labor process in order to provide a positive impact on the experience as a whole. I knew I wanted to experience this.

The Quest: Oh Where, Oh Where Could My Doula Be?

As I mentioned earlier, I committed to having a doula. The catch? Doulas can be a little costly; and unfortunately, insurances do not cover their invaluable services. At least, mine did NOT.

What would I do? Enter The Gathering Place.

Thankfully Michelle Fonte and Tamara Taitt created The Gathering Place (TGP), a center which empowers the community by providing parents with eco-friendly resources and unwavering support in pregnancy, childbirth and parenthood. While TGP pointed me in the direction of great doulas, it still did not help me with the financial aspect of my dilemma.

I am a chatterbox by nature so while at TGP, I mentioned how I would LOVE to have a doula yet I couldn't afford one. Now, let me introduce Project Motherpath another “brainchild” of these two Mother Mavens.

Fonte and Taitt believe that every birth matters. “We love connecting mamas with doulas… and are so proud of the program we've created that makes doula care an option and a reality for anyone,” said Fonte, doula and mother of six.

If you’re local to South Florida, I urge you to check out and learn more about The Gathering Place and Project Motherpath. It is a blessing to be part of such an active and positive community. Come JOIN us!!

What do you do if you’re not local?

To find a doula in your area:

Make sure you:

  • Communicate- Find family, friends and other mamas in your community who have used a doula
  • Do your homework- Read more about what doulas do here from the perspective of one doula. 
Final Thoughts
Nurturing Positive Birth Memories since 1968: Penny Simkin 
Most doulas do not charge for an initial consultation and interview, so interview as many doulas as you need until you find your match. I sincerely felt like I was on a first date. My interviews were a little awkward, but I set out to make a connection. My advice: follow your instincts.

I did, and I couldn't be happier.  My doula even helped me with my birth plan, and my doctor happily went over it with me too. Don’t know where to start with your birth plan? Head over to Earth Mama Angel Baby for a complimentary template to help you get started.

When all is said and done, just make sure you are comfortable with your choice. In the end, your doula will be present at one of the most important milestones of your life: the birth of your child.
Do you have a birth plan? Will you have a doula? Feel free to share your experiences with me in the comments below.

Happy Birthing!!


2 comments:

  1. I had a doula with the birth of my son. It was such a positive experience. I ended up having laughing gas and it hut like hell. I did not have the best birth experience but it could not be helped (my little guy was turned a weird way and got stuck). I think a doula is a great thing to have. They help you when you are too in the midst of birth to understand what is going on and what the doctors are doing. Mine kept me from haven a c-section!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I honestly have never heard of a doula, but I do have a birth plan set for when we finally get a positive. A doula sounds absolutely fantastic though. Good Luck!

    ReplyDelete